Around the globe, each year a lot of people try to lose weight. The best way to achieve these, is by changing your diet or lifestyle. There are a lot of dieting program nowadays for people looking to lose weight. These even makes it even more difficult for people to decide which program to follow.
Some of these program make you believe that by eating fewer calories, carb or fat, that you will achieve your weight lose goal, while others believe in curbing appetite to reduce your food intake, thereby losing weight.
We are going to be looking at five weight loss programs.
- The ketogenic diet. The ketogenic diet is a low-carbohydrate, adequate-protein, and high-fat diet. It was originally used to relieve difficult-to-treat epilepsy in children. The ketogenic diet is very effective for reducing seizures; however, the popularity of the ketogenic diet for epilepsy treatment greatly declined after the development of effective medications. Today, the ketogenic diet is mostly promoted for its ability to help people reach a healthy weight. The basic Ketogenic diet In a typical ketogenic eating plan a person will keep their macro nutrient “macros” intake to: • 75% of calories from fat • 20% of calories from protein • 5% of calories from carbohydrates
Does the ketogenic diet increase weight loss?
The ketogenic diet changes the way the metabolism works. Specifically, it causes the body to enter a state of ketosis. What is ketosis? ketosis is the state in which the body burns fat for fuel. And This is as a result of low carbohydrate intake to the body, in ketosis state your body turns to burning fat as a source of energy. At these state the body is said to be in ketosis. And the need to eat food is greatly reduced, thereby reducing appetite. Plus, the increased protein and fat intake keep the dieter fuller, longer. Keto makes it simple and easy to eat less and lose weight. This diet helps keep blood sugar very stable and can lead to a major improvement in type 2 diabetes even without factoring in weight loss.
In the ketogenic diet, you keep the butter, the cream, and the fatty salad dressing. Just toss out the grains and starch. Enjoy steak, avocados, cheese, and bacon. Just ditch the sugar. The keto diet lets you indulge in fats and proteins to feel satisfied and curb hunger pains. The cardinal rule of the keto diet is to limit your carb intake to less than 50 grams per day in order to activate ketosis in your body.Since you’ll be getting most of your nutrition from proteins and fats, it’s important to remember what to eat and what to avoid. For proteins, eat eggs and plenty of meats like fish, beef, and poultry. Eat nuts and seeds like macadamias and sunflower seeds.
Types of foods and nuts to eat in a keto diet.
DISADVANTAGE OF KETOGENIC DIET.
- Strange-smelling breath.
- Difficulty concentrating
- muscle cramps
This unpleasant side effects happens only during the adjustment period. This ends after the adjustment period, which is good to know that is not something that last for long. Another disadvantage of the ketogenic diet is that certain groups of people may find it difficult to adhere to. Eating a vegan or vegetarian ketogenic diet is extremely restrictive in the variety of foods it includes and is therefore undesirable.
Some people follow a ketogenic (low-carb) diet to try to lose weight by forcing the body to burn fat as a source of fuel.
If you are determined to loss the weight, forget the carb and come on board.
2. Intermittent Fasting: it is currently one of the world’s most popular form of fitness trend. People use it to lose weight or just to improve their health.
What is intermittent fasting? it is a form of eating that cycles around periods of fasting and eating.
Fasting did’did not start in our recently, it predates our time. It has been in practice throughout ancient time. Ancient hunters gather food that is just enough for the day, as they did’did not have methods of storing the leftovers. Sometimes they could’did not find any food to eat, and is not like they have supermarkets of fridge to store food, so when there is no food they fast.
Fasting is often done for religious reasons. In these type of fasting, you go without eating or drinking throughout the hours or days of your fasting. Intermittent fasting is slightly different, in the sense that you follow a time of eating. But drinking is allowed (Tea, Coffee, electrolytes, and water).
The length of fasting can vary, depending on an individual makeup like age, weight, and ability.
Types of fasting these include: short and long fast.
- The 12-hour fast:This is the usual over-night fast that happens every night. We break these fast in the morning with breakfast. If finished your supper at 7:00 pm and ate breakfast the next morning the time in between these meals would be 12 hours.
- The 16:8 fast. This way of doing intermittent fasting involves daily fasting for 16 hours. Sometimes This is also referred to as an 8-hour eating ‘window’. You eat all your meals within an 8-hour time period and fast for the remaining 16 hours. Generally, This is done daily or almost daily.
- The 24-hour fast. Also, referred to as one meal a day. Using the supper over at 7:00 pm model, a person practicing one meal a day would skip both breakfast and lunch the next day and eat only the evening meal at 7:00 pm.
The long fast
- 36-hour fast: This one starts at the end of a meal, 7:00 pm, and continues throughout the next day and night ending with breakfast at 7:00 am. the following day. There will be one full day when no eating occurs, just hydration.
- 48-hour fast: This is the same as the 36 hour fast except you don’t eat until 7:00 pm on the last day of the fast.
- The 5:2 fast. 5:2 involves five regular eating days and two fasting days. However, on these two fasting days, you are allowed to eat 500 calories on each day. These calories can be consumed at any time during the day – either spread throughout the day or as a single meal.
Fasting has a lot of benefit if done properly, This includes loss of excess weight, type 2 diabetes reversal and brain function.
Regular fasting optimizes energy metabolism and so reduces oxidation.
It also reduces the side effects of other strict dieting.
It also helps to stabilize blood sugar level.
3. WW (weight watchers) is a global weight loss and health management program, targeting both those who are after short or long-term dieters.
WW is a point based system that assigns different food and beverages a value, depending on their content, like the amount of calories, fat, or fiber contents. You will be assigned a daily point target, and this point are spent on food.
Members of WW are motivated through its free rewards programs. This program include fitness class passes, wine tumblers, and a take anywhere organizers. Its members get 24/7 support both private online community or support from WW coach. All these, is accessible through the digital app.
Studies has shown that people who follow the program lose weight. And that it is easier to maintain at the long run. They love it because of its flexibility. But it can be expensive if you want to enjoy the full programs.
Types of program:
- The Digital program is like a starter pack. For those that just join newly. They get a 24/7 support through the website and also the app. This includes access to their food and the community.
- The one-to-one coaching plus the digital program is available for the premium members. This includes action plan that can help you to lose weight and maintain it.
- The Workshop plus the digital program helps ones that wants a more personalized programs. So, in addition to every other benefits, like the one-to-one program and the digital program, WW offers in-person sessions. So you get help from their coaches and also from their well over 1400 workshops every week.
- Personal support.
- Digital app tracker.
- Access to a community of like minds.
- Easy to follow.
- Meal preparation must be done at home.
- Personal coach is always not available
- Not budget friendly. If want to get the full benefit of the program be ready to spend money on the biggest program that WW offers.
WW is great for people who love to weigh their food and count calorie unlike the keto diet that does’did not. The online tool they have assigns a certain value to each food. They’re quick and easy way to control portion sizes and calories, especially for ones who do know their way around the kitchen.
Noom is a health app designed by behavioral psychologists to help you lose weight. According to noom website they said “that their mission is to help people everywhere to live a healthier lives through behavior change”.
So in their app you have a trainer, nutritionist, and a health coach, all in one place in your phone.
All the food is colour coded(green,yallow and red). The green foods, are like fruits ant Veggies and they are the least calorie-dense and contains the highest concentration of healthy nutrients.
Yellow foods have more calories but not necessarily bad for you. This includes meat and dairy.
Red foods desserts and processed foods, are more in calories-dense. Red foods are also not off-limit, it just makes you aware that their calorie count is high and they are also fewer filling.
This colour codes on food might be a disadvantage for people who do not like their food colour coded or tagged. Noom is very good at instilling fear in you when it comes to certain food.
How does the app work?
The app is free to download, Noom will ask you to you the amount of weight you want to lose and how quick you want to achieve, your age and height when you download the app. These are common question we get asked in any weight loss app anyway.
When the log in all the details above, it will automatically generate the exercise you will have to follow, you will also have to log in everything you eat during the day.
Noom also tracks your weight loss. So every week you enter your weight, the app makes a graph of your progress.
- It helps you to stay accountable and also to make better choices on your own.
- It encourages you to eat real
- Individualized coaching
- It can be expensive.
- Having to constantly log in food that you ate can be a challenge for some people.
- Is an app, it does’nt really know if you have any other health issues.
- Noom has a cancellation policy problem. Most people usually miss the section that noom has a reoccurring subscription. So when your free trial is up, you are automatically billed.
The Atkins diet was originally promoted by the physician Dr. Robert C. Atkins. The diet is a low-carb diet, but high in protein and fat intake. It claims that you can lose weight while eating as much protein and fat as you want.
Over the years, studies has shown that eating low-carb diets without counting calories has proven effective for weight loss.
The Atkins diet was formally considered as unhealthy as a result of it’s high fat content. But after a thorough studies it shows that saturated fat is harmless. And it leads to more weight loss, and also improve blood sugar level.
Atkins Diet is in four- phases.
- Phase One (Induction). In these program you eat under 20 grams of carbs per day for two weeks. You can eat high protein and high fat food. This will help kick start your weight loss. It’s the most restrictive phase of all the programs, because of its dramatic reduction in carbohydrates intake. Results are also fast.
What to eat in these phase.
- Drink lots of water(at least 8 glasses of water daily)
- Eat more leafy green vegetables.
- Limit carb consumption to 20 grams of Net carbs
- eat food that contain more protein and fat(fish, poultry, eggs, pork, lamb, beef)
Phase two(Balancing) in these phase you slowly start to add nuts, low-carb vegetables up to 25 to 30 grams per day, and so on until your weight loss slows down.
Add back nutrient-dense foods like, non-starchy veggies(broccoli,asparagus,cheeses and berries)
Phase three(fine-tuning) these phase is known as fine- tuning phase, because is a stage where you polish your weight lose goal. When you’re very close to your goal weight, add more carbs to your diet. This phase lasts until you hit your target weight and maintain it for months.
Phase four(maintaince phase) in these phase, the average number of daily grams of Net carbs ranges from 40-120 per day, This depends on your age, gender and other activities. It can be expensive good to point that maintaining the weight lost is the main goal. And these phase is designed to help you do that.
So in conclusion, Atkins diet is in four phases, and dieters will experience rapid weight loss during two weeks induction phase followed by a slow and steady loss thereafter.
What do you think? have you tried any of these weight loss programs? why don’t you leave us a comment on what you liked or not.
Thank you for reading.