What is the Ketogenic Diet?
The Ketogenic Diet is a low carbohydrate, adequate-protein and high fat content diet. or it is a low Carb, high protein, high-fat diet designed to activate a state of ketosis in our body, which then begins to burn stored fat as energy instead of using carbs. And one way to achieve you weight lose goal. This is a great way to burn Calories in your body. as we go further we are going to talk more on fasting and benefit of fasting on Keto. the Ketogenic diet is not something you say you pickup as you go. You have to be prepared before going into it. you have to do your meal pre. have a schedule of what to eat and stick to it. I personally can 100% say it works because i have done it and is the only one that has worked for me.
The Ketogenic diet is usually high in fat.For example, 5% of calories my be protein, 25% may be Protein, and 70% may be from fat. The truth is that there different ones out there, so the proportions may vary.
The keto diet diagram
The straight forward answer is yes for does who stick with the diet. And this i know to be true because i have done it and it worked for me. but how does the ketogenic diet work? the ketogenic diet changes the way the metabolism works thereby increase weight lose. it causes the body to enter a state of ketosis. ketosis is the state in which the body burns fat for fuel instead of glucose. without ketosis that is to say during normal metabolism, carbohydrates in the food are converted into glucose,which is then used as the body’s primary energy source. At the state of ketosis the body is forced to switch over to burning the fat instead. Keto diet makes it simple and easy to lose weight. The ketogenic diet helps to keep blood sugar level low. it also help to maintain a very stable and high energy level. Let’s not forget that ketogenic diet has it’s own side effect and can include:
- Strange-smelling breath.
- difficulty to concentrate.
- Muscle cramping.
The good news is that when your body has fully adjusted to this stage or diet this side effects stops.
Why fast in Ketogenic diet?
In the opening sentence we mentioned fasting briefly. now let let us look at it in fuller details. Well as we have established that the ketogenic diet is a low carb, high-protein, high -fat diet designed to activate a state of ketosis in our body, at that stage our body start to burn fat as energy instead of glucose. But to kick of the weight lose you still need to burn a lot more of the calories more than you are eating. And so to do that you to FAST. Fasting on a keto diet is the best way to burn the calories and kick your keto diet up a notch. When we fast more often we will optimize our energy metabolism, reduce obesity. It is also important to point at at this stage that when we say fasting, in keto diet, we don’t mean to say the fasting that people do for their faith, whereby they eat nothing at all, this is different from that. In keto diet fasting you get to eat, drink depending on the type of fasting one is doing. Fasting is simply avoiding to accidently overeating on ketogenic diet. One can chose the way they want to fast or what works for them. there are different types of fasting and all profess to work, at the end of the day it depends on an individual to decide what works for them based on their plan.
Types of Fasting
Intermittent fasting has been used in recent years to increase weight loss. A lot of method can be effective. we are going to look at six different methods.
- One meal a day: In this method one can fast in the morning and afternoon, you the eat in the evening. in the morning and through the day you can drink your coffee or tea or your chicken broth and electrolytes throughout this time in the evening you can eat a well balance keto diet.
- 16-hour fast: Many people on a ketogenic diet use this form of fasting on a daily basis. This means skipping breakfast in the morning. So the first meal of the will be eaten no sooner than 11:00 am.
- 24-hour fast: this methods involves fasting from dinner day to the next dinner day. so let say from Monday dinner to Tuesday dinner, that will amount to 24 hour fast. one can also alternate this method.It is important to eat well during your eating hour. Do not rush into this method, just like the first 2 we have mentioned.This method can be done either once or twice a week.
- 36-hour: This one at the end of a meal in the evening, say 7:00 pm, continues throughout the next day and night ending the following morning breakfast in the morning. So this means for one full day no solid food is eaten just the regular. tea, coffee as we have mentioned before.
- 48-hour: so this method involves fasting for 48 hours in a week. This involves eating your normal keto diet for 5 days in the week. while restricting your calorie in take to 500-600 for the 2 days that is left in the week. you select the days that works for you well, it is fine.
- The warrior diet: This method is all about eating small amount of fruits and vegetables during the day and eating one huge meal for dinner.This type of diet was one of the first popular form of intermittent fasting. So this method is all about eating only small amounts of vegetables and fruits during the day and eating huge at dinner.
The truth is that there are a lot of method of fasting out there, and most of them promise to give you the result you want. AT the end of the day one has to select what works for them. Personally i have tried this ones and it worked for me. The truth is that at first is not easy but once you get into it, it becomes easy to follow. I love to fast and still do it till date. You have to a level of self-discipline and also try to eat healthy food not junk.
and for you to love fasting you must make your food to be
- make it nutritious
- appealing to the eye
- make it to satisfy your hunger
- and tasted great.
All this will make fasting easy to do. And when you fast in ketogenic diet you are assured to achieve great result in no less a time.
What do you think? Have you tried ketogenic diet before, leave us a comment, let us know what you think.
Thanks for reading